Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Strawberry Lemonade Cheesecake Cupcakes




Pin It


I have been trying to think of something fun to make for Valentine's Day.  I have honestly never been a big fan of the holiday. Since adulthood, it just seems like a reason for me to feel bad that my significant other at the time never remembered to get me something (not my hubby, he is perfect and would NEVER forget....tee hee). But the kids love all the holidays so I have made it my goal to create special things we can make into annual traditions for every holiday.  Now that the kids are getting older it is fun to see all the things we can do together and them actually participate (rather than me doing it all myself and acting all goofy and excited) The Lemon Cheesecake Tarts I made were so good I needed an excuse to make some more. I have seen people do red velvet versions of these cupcakes but I wanted to try something a little different! They were really good but I do recommend keeping them chilled so that the cheesecake stays delish!





Ingredients:

Cheesecake: 
  • 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Strawberry Cake:

  • 3 cups self-rising flour
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cup pureed strawberries, strained
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon lemon extract
  • 4 large eggs, beaten
  • 4 drops red food coloring
For the Lemon Buttercream Frosting:

  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
Directions:
     blend cream cheese, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and sugar in a bowl until smooth. Add in lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Then beat in the eggs one at a time until well mixed and all is smooth.

    In a large bowl, stir to combine self-rising flour, sugar, oil, pureed strawberries, vanilla, lemon, and eggs. Add in food coloring until you get your desired color.

    Cream butter. Blend in sugar one cup at a time. Add in vanilla and lemon juice. Refrigerate until needed. 

    To make the cupcakes, start by placing cupcake papers into your cupcake pan. Fill cups 1/3 full with strawberry mixture. Fill up to 2/3 with cheesecake mix. Then top with a spoon full of strawberry to create top layer. Bake at 350 for 22 mins. Cool on counter. Frost cupcakes. Cakes are best served chilled.

    Our Ratings:


    Mama F: 10 - These were to die for!! Ok, maybe not literally but close. I feel like such a genius. And soon, I will be a fat genius cause I just ate 10. Sigh. 





    Daddy F: 8- Enjoyed the cheesecake/cake part but thought the buttercream was too sweet. Uh.......I'm pretty sure this guys an alien!




    Fuller Kids: 10 - Yup, you guessed it, these babies were gone in less than a min! Strawberries and cheese beats chocolate in their books any day!




    Lucky the Dog: 5 - Eh, it was eatable but you should try my salted bacon cupcakes!!!

    2 comments:

    1. Not only they look cute but the combination of flavors is divine! Yum!

      ReplyDelete
    2. wow! I always wondered if you could mix cake & cheesecake together as a cupcake! I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

      ReplyDelete

    We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
    Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF