Friday, January 13, 2012

Sweet and Tangy Slow Roasted Ribs

 I am a Texan. I love BBQ. I love the mesquite/hickory slow cooked taste of meaty goodness. I am a Texan. I hate the cold and rain. This last week my beautiful 70 degree weather took a hiatus and it was like, 40!! I know!! You northerners can laugh at me all you want. I used to live in Chicago, Park City, and London, I have paid my cold weather dues!! I choose to live in this hot and humid climate and I love it - even when it is 110 degrees. Ok, maybe that's a lie. But I would much rather deal with the heat and humidity than have to wake up at 4 in the morning and shovel my car out of a snow bank.


Pin It




 Anyway, long story short, according to ME it was much too cold to be outside trying to BBQ this past week so I decided to try my hand at creating some slow cooked goodness in the oven.  I didn't have any liquid smoke on hand (and obviously it was too cold to go to the grocery store. duh.) so I searched my trusty overly stocked pantry and decided to go with a sweet and tangy variety. Eat it, you will be so glad you did. And if you double the recipe you can jar it and give it to your friends and they will love you more.




Ingredients:

  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar 
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 cup rootbeer (DO NOT USE DIET!!) 
Beef or Pork Ribs. (I used about 2lbs of boneless beef) 
    Saute Onions over med low heat. Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.

    Place ribs across a shallow baking dish. Pour sauce on top reserving about 1/2 cup. Bake at 200F for 90 mins per pound of meat.

    When serving, pour remaining BBQ sauce on top.

    Our Ratings:



    Mama F: 8 - Although I still prefer my smoked meats this was pretty tasty! Finger licking good!!




    Daddy F: 9 - Daddy thought the slow cooked tangy version was BETTER than the smoked kind. But then again, he is a transplant Texan. :)






    Fuller Kids: 7 - They both ate everything on their plate and appreciated that the sauce was not the normal spicy kind. They also ate 3 helpings of potato salad. My little carbaholics.




    Lucky the Dog: 22- DROOL!

    2 comments:

    1. Ooh! I'm forwarding this one to my son - he's a bbq rib fanatic! He's going to love this one :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. This sauce is good on pork and chicken too! :) Hope he likes it, it was my grandma's recipe!

        Delete

    We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
    Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF