Saturday, January 7, 2012

Slow Cooker Sundays - Black Eyed Peas and Bacon

 Look at me. I am dumb. I thought I would be all cool and buy black eyed peas for New Years and be all "Hey! I know how to follow tradition!" Yeah, what really happened was I bought them and then was forced to stay up till the wee hours of the morning with a hyped up 4 year old and 2 crazed out dogs afraid of the fireworks. Needless to say I slept in the next day and eating leftover cupcakes from the night before really sounded like a better option.

 But hey, its a new year and so to kick off our first slow cooker link up I made Black Eyed Peas and Bacon......just a week later than I had planned. :)




Ingredients:

  • 1 32oz box of chicken stock
  • 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, diced
  • 2 Serrano peppers, chopped (leave seeds for more heat)
  • 10 slices bacon, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2 teaspoons cilantro 
  • salt and pepper to taste 
Combine all ingredients into crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Enjoy the benefits of your not so hard work! :)



Welcome to our first official Slow Cooker Sunday! Sundays in our home are full of worship and family and I don't want to waste extra time in the kitchen chopping and cooking! Join us for our Sunday Slow Cooker link up and share your favorite easy meals!

The Slow Cooker Sunday Link Up, hosted by Doggie at the Dinner Table, is a place for other foodie lovers to share links to their blogs. Every Sunday a linky will be posted with recipes from my own kitchen. The linky will be open for 24 hours and you can link up to posts you’ve posted in the past. 

The Fine Print: 
  • You are free to join the Slow Cooker Sunday link up at any time. You can also skip a few weeks and then come back.But we will miss you! :)
  • Please link directly to a post containing a slow cooker recipe— not your main blog URL.
  • Please only link to your own blog or photos hosted online.
  • You MUST link back to Doggie at the Dinner Table in your blog post. This way, if someone else wants to join the fun, they can. You can either link with text or using the Slow Cooker Sunday photo which can be found in the sidebar.
  • I highly encourage you to visit other participants and leave comments. This is a great way to meet new friends and become inspired in your culinary quests! I try to visit all the blogs participating as well!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the invitations to this party! Love your entry never had black eyed peas I know crazy living inthe South ... you gave me a great reason now to try them!
    http://pegasuslegend-whatscookin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF