Thursday, August 23, 2012

Crockpot Nofried Beans


This is a dish I have been wanting to try for quite sometime but I always figured it would be really difficult so I kept buying the same old stuff in a can. Let me tell you. Not hard. Easy peasy. And it tastes so good and warms my heart to know that I now have another simple recipe that I can feed my family that is not full of all that icky preservative gunk! I made a big batch and put it into smaller freezer friendly containers to take out for a busy day.

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb of pinto or black beans (or mix it up for fun!)
  • 1 onion chopped in large chunks
  • 2 Serrano peppers seeded and roughly chopped (or leave the seeds in for more heat)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper 
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 7 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
Directions:

Place all ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or overnight. Once cooked mash up all the ingredients until you reach desired consistency.



Our Ratings:


Mama F: 8 - These were really good! I was surprised they tasted so good without the bacon grease most restaurants add in. 

Daddy F: 9 - I can't believe these came out of a crock pot! I would have liked them more spicy but I know Mama was wanting the kids to eat them. 

Fuller Kids: 10 - AMAZING!! I had to literally fight my 5 year old over eating the whole bowl. 

Lucky the Dog: 3 - NO BACON???? Hmph!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! Canned or dried beans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dry beans, no need to soak them either, the crock pot does it all! Good thing too because I always forget! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF