This week for #SundaySupper the theme was "cooking with your kids". Well that seemed like a no brainer for me. I have trouble finding time to cook without my kids! When I asked my 2 year old what we should cook she of course said "CHEESE!!" which translates to Mac and Cheese which she won't eat unless it is Kraft (something I am working on fixing!). Ask my 5 year old - pancakes. I said, "We make pancakes at least 3 days out of the week, what's something else we can try?" "How about French Toast Sticks? The kind you can dip in syrup!". She had a good idea. But I wanted the kind like you can get at those fancy places, you know, like IHOP. They are soft and sweet with a little bit of crunch on the outside. I thought what if I breaded them in breadcrumbs and deep fried them? Silly right? Breading a piece of bread. No. No it wasn't. It was delicious.
- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- oil for deep fryer
Cut bread into one inch slices. Cut off crusts. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
In a bowl, mix eggs, milk, and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl pour breadcrumbs. In a third bowl mix sugar and cinnamon.
Take each bread stick and first dredge it in the egg mixture ten coat with the breadcrumbs. Drop into a deep fryer set to 350F and fry until outside starts to turn golden, about 1 min. Take out with slotted spoon and let excess oil drip off. While still hot, roll in cinnamon and sugar mixture until coated on all sides. Shake off any excess sugar. Repeat with remaining bread sticks. Serve warm with maple syrup.
Mama F: 10 - Super yummy! Just the right amount of crunch on the outside makes for a great texture variation.
Daddy F: 7 - Not a big fan of sugary items but this was pretty good! Move over IHOP my woman is in the kitchen!
Fuller Kids: 10 - No surprise here! This meal was kid tested and kid approved!
Lucky the Dog: 9 - Lucky second favorite food group is fried. Third is bread.
Today is also a special day in the Fuller house! It's Little E's 2nd birthday!! She fills our life with joy with her unwavering enthusiasm for everything she does! Her sweet smile and cute dimples melt my heart!
Please take a moment to check out our other #SundaySupper participants this week!
Start your day:
- Pineapple Not-Upside Down Muffins ~In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Bacon, Egg & Sausage Breakfast Cups ~Daily Dish Recipes
- Buttermilk French Toast with Homemade Cinnamon – Raisin Bread ~What Smells So Good
- Snack Attack: 3 Healthy Choices for Little Nibblers ~Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Fruit Salad in an Orange Cup ~Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Whole-wheat Pretzel Dogs ~Family Spice
- Poblano Mac ‘N Cheese ~Juanita’s Cocina
- Coconut Chicken and Shrimp ~Super for a Steal
- Lunie and Mini-me’s Grilled Pizza ~Cravings of a Lunatic
- Hedgehog Meatballs and Chili Dog Pie ~Cooking by the Seat of our Pants
- Walking Tostada ~Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Sausage Rolls ~Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Mini Corn Dog Muffins ~In The Kitchen With KP
- Mexican Black Bean & Quinoa Burgers with Homemade Guacamole ~Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Threaded Spaghetti Hot Dog Bites ~Damn Delicious
- Golden Potato Patties ~My Trials in the Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Wings in Sesame Flavors ~The Queen’s Notebook
- Spaghetti Tacos ~Girlichef
- Parmesan Corn on the Cob ~Home Cooking Memories
- Yum Yum Salmon ~Family Foodie
- Pad Thai ~Meal Planning Magic
- Chicken Tortilla Bake ~Mrs. Mama Hen
- Chocolate Slab ~Happy Baking Days
- Chocolate Chip Cut-Out Cookies ~Chocolate Moosey
- Self-Crust Coconut Pie ~Magnolia Days
- Fresh Cherry Clafoutis ~The Meltaways
- Wolf’s Wonderful Peanut Butter-Brownie Fudge Sundaes ~The Weekend Gourmet
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream ~The Messy Baker Blog
- Healthy Creamy Caramel Apple Parfaits with Greek Yogurt ~Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate and Salted Caramel Pudding Pops ~Hezzi-D’s Cooks and Books
- Chocolate Cheese Turnover ~Basic and Delicious
- Chocotorta Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Oatmeal and M&M Cookies ~That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Purple Blueberry Cake ~Tora’s Real Food
- Tropical Popsicles ~Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Carrot Cupcakes ~Diabetic Foodie
We love to feature your recipes on our #sundaysupper pinterest board and share them with all our followers.