Sunday, July 8, 2012

Panko Encrusted French Toast Sticks for #SundaySupper



This week for #SundaySupper the theme was "cooking with your kids". Well that seemed like a no brainer for me. I have trouble finding time to cook without my kids! When I asked my 2 year old what we should cook she of course said "CHEESE!!" which translates to Mac and Cheese which she won't eat unless it is Kraft (something I am working on fixing!). Ask my 5 year old - pancakes. I said, "We make pancakes at least 3 days out of the week, what's something else we can try?" "How about French Toast Sticks? The kind you can dip in syrup!". She had a good idea. But I wanted the kind like you can get at those fancy places, you know, like IHOP. They are soft and sweet with a little bit of crunch on the outside. I thought what if I breaded them in breadcrumbs and deep fried them? Silly right? Breading a piece of bread. No. No it wasn't. It was delicious.








Ingredients:
  • 1 loaf sourdough bread
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup of milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla 
  • 2 cups panko bread crumbs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • oil for deep fryer
Directions:

Cut bread into one inch slices. Cut off crusts. Cut into 1 inch cubes.

In a bowl, mix eggs, milk, and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl pour breadcrumbs. In a third bowl mix sugar and cinnamon.

Take each bread stick and first dredge it in the egg mixture ten coat with the breadcrumbs. Drop into a deep fryer set to 350F and fry until outside starts to turn golden, about 1 min. Take out with slotted spoon and let excess oil drip off.  While still hot, roll in cinnamon and sugar mixture until coated on all sides. Shake off any excess sugar. Repeat with remaining bread sticks. Serve warm with maple syrup.

Our Ratings:


Mama F: 10 - Super yummy! Just the right amount of crunch on the outside makes for a great texture variation. 

Daddy F: 7 - Not a big fan of sugary items but this was pretty good! Move over IHOP my woman is in the kitchen! 

Fuller Kids: 10 - No surprise here! This meal was kid tested and kid approved!

Lucky the Dog: 9 - Lucky second favorite food group is fried. Third is bread.





Today is also a special day in the Fuller house! It's Little E's 2nd birthday!! She fills our life with joy with her unwavering enthusiasm for everything she does! Her sweet smile and cute dimples melt my heart!

 


Please take a moment to check out our other #SundaySupper participants this week!


Start your day:
Healthy Snackers:
Main Squeeze:
Sweet Treats:
Brenda is hosting this special event  and we would love for you to join us.  We will be sharing great family recipes all afternoon and want you to share yours with us! Our #SundaySupper live chat will start at 3 pm EST.  Follow us on twitter by using hashtag #Sundaysupper or using Tweetchat.
We love to feature your recipes on our #sundaysupper pinterest board and share them with all our followers.

20 comments:

  1. Cool idea! A novelty way to use panko. Love the sticks, like sweet soldiers and syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had some for breakfast right now. I love french toast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea and Happy Birthday to you little one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, does that ever look good! (Visiting you from #SS!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I love that you used panko to make the sticks extra crunchy. Happy #SundaySupper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing! Even though my boy is older, I know he's love these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy...even without tasting, I can tell by the smile on your girl's face while she was eating!! I love panko and french toast, so I'm sure I would go crazy for these...good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds amazing. So glad your little helpers are such good recipe creators! Happy birthday little E!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An awesome twist on French toast! I do something similar, but with cake. I'm sure the kids loved it to death. Great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so yummy and easy! I will have to give them a try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm... French toast. Definitely better than pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They sound so good! I love the idea of crusting french toast sticks with panko!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum this sounds amazing! I'd never think to batter french toast with Panko but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deep fried french toast sticks? Now that's a new one! Looks like she really enjoyed them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great kid friendly recipe. Happy Birthday to Little E.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so clever! My daughter is only a year old so I will need to skip the sugar but I think she would love it with some apple sauce to dip in

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sure my kids would give these a 10, too. That crunchy coating is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG, no wonder these were a hit! They look absolutely decadent. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the idea of panko! Reminds me of churros, I can just imagine them dipped in chocolate...

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF