Sunday, July 1, 2012

Texas Smoked Brisket for #SundaySupper


 I am so excited for our first week to be participating in #SundaySupper! For those of you who are not familiar with it, #SundaySupper is a group of great foodie bloggers who are banding together to try and bring back the idea of family meals together at the dinner table. This is right up our alley as that is one of the most important things Daddy F and I feel we can provide our children - a time when we can all come together everyday as a family and "break bread" and share of our daily activities.

Every week has a theme and in observation of the 4th of July this week we are all talking what you can bring to your family picnic. Here in Texas picnic = BBQ and really no BBQ is complete without some brisket!

Can you believe I once lived in an area where the people didn't know what a brisket was!?! They thought it was like a pot roast!! FOR SHAME!! Dang Yankees (I can say this as I was born near Chicago and the majority of my family are still northerners. But I moved here when I was 5 so really, I am Texan through and through.)!!






Ingredients:

Dry Rub:

  • 1/3 cup salt
  • 1/3 cup chili powder
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons garlic salt
Mop Sauce:

  • 1 can (10 1/2 oz) beef consomme
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/3 cup vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
Direction:

One of the most important things in smoking is making sure you have the right wood and you are cooking low and slow. We use hickory and mesquite chips and just throw them in with the charcoal into your smoker. Try to keep your grill temp between 200-220F.

Mix dry seasonings. Slice fat side of brisket down to meat about every inch. Rub brisket liberally with seasonings and place brisket fat side up on a giant sheet of foil or in a roasting pan.

Place brisket on foil onto your smoker/grill (if you do not have a smoker on your grill make sure you are using indirect heat. If you have a gas grill you can place another disposable aluminum pan with the wood chips and a bit of water over the heat to create the smoke flavor). Cook brisket for 8 - 10 hours, brushing with mop sauce every hour.

When brisket it finished you can just slice it and serve it as is with some BBQ sauce. You can roll it up in a tortilla and make tacos. Or you can chop it and mix it with some sauce for sandwiches. Either way this stuff will disappear in the blink of an eye!

Our Ratings:


Mama F: 10 - I can eat a brisket any time of day any day of the week! This is seriously the main reason I could never be a vegitarian. And even my veggie friends will tell you that this was the hardest thing to give up!




Daddy F: 7 - Not a big fan of big slabs of meat. I know, NOT raised in Texas CLEARLY. But he says that for what it is it good and was moist with a nice smoked flavor.




Fuller Kids: 10 - My darling little born and bred cowgirls make their mama proud by wolfing down this Texan classic.





Lucky the Dog: 12 - Eat every day. Yum. Drool.





Please take a moment to stop by all the other #SundaySupper participants and check out their great 4th of July recipes!


Main Dishes:
Salads and Sides:
Desserts:
Fabulous Pairings by Martin from ENOFYLZ
Sunday Supper Join us this week! We’ll share these fabulous recipes and want you to share yours with us!  The fun starts at 3pm EST and lasts all afternoon.  At 5:30 pm EST, we will be available to chat with you. All you have to do is follow the hashtag #sundaysupper on twitter or follow along on TweetChat.  Our #SundaySupper Pinterest Board will be filled with fabulous family recipes. There is always room Around the Family Table for you.

21 comments:

  1. Welcome to your first SundaySupper!! So happy to get to spend it with you. Your brisket looks AMAZING, this is going on my to make list.
    I love that you included your whole families ratings - so cute! Come see mine when you can.
    Nicole @ The Daily Dish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to grab that brisket sandwich right out of the screen. Oh my it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so tasty, and I love a good piece of meat that's cooked low and slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious and I can imagine that smoky flavor with the spices here :)Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Sunday Supper! We're happy to have you...esp if you bring big slabs of meat with you! LOL Your smoke ring looks so good I almost licked my laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say you outdid yourself with this brisket, and you've done Texas proud! Also, your blog is so engaging and attractive! I'm in the process of getting my blog a much-needed makeover, and I can't wait to see the first draft.

    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried wood chips on my gas grill. I guess it's about time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We lived in San Antonio for a short while and this recipe reminds me of some of the lovely BBQ restaurants we enjoyed in Austin and San Antonio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, I love that you have ratings of the whole fam! Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to connect with another San Antonio food blogger thanks to #SundaySupper! How long have you been blogging? There are at least two other food bloggers in town that I know of: Jerry from Cooking by the Seat of Our Pants, and Steph from The Chickpea Chickadee. Your two girls are adorable, BTW!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been blogging about a year now - lived in San Antonio most of my life! Wouldn't it be fun if we all got together sometime!

      Delete
  11. I was raised in Texas (not born there) and I still love, LOVE brisket! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love brisket! This looks incredible, I will definitely have to try a recipe from a Texan, because you know how to barbeque!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Incredible brisket, so moist and spicy! Love the dog´s ranking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious! I love all BBQ. And I love your dog's ratings :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks great!! I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mouth-watering! Love the ratings by all family members, especially Lucky :) Welcome to #SundaySupper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all types of brisket - southern and northern! And yours looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah big fan of brisket, that looks really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your recipe! I've never made a smoked brisket at home, but you definitely make it less intimidating! Also, I liked it so much that I featured it on my blog: http://thecookssister.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/five-favourites-for-friday-21/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I missed my wife's homemade beef brisket. I can't wait to get home next month and give her an Emson electric smoker as a gift for our anniversary and I'm looking forward to try that recipe for our event.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF