Monday, June 25, 2012

Banana Praline Oatmeal



 Okay folks, brace yourself. I finally downloaded Instagram on my phone and I have been going a little wild with taking pictures of anything and everything I can find. So you will just have to deal with all my photo filtered pictures at least for the next few weeks until I get bored of it! haha

I have been trying to come up with some more "healthy" breakfast options as my kids seems to want to eat pancakes and donuts everyday ( I can't blame them, donuts are WAY tastier than oatmeal!). This came out even better than I expected. The bananas give it a taste almost like banana bread and the pralines offer the perfect sweet crunch!


 
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
1/3 cup brown sugar
 2 eggs
 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
 2 cups whole milk
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
 1/2 cup pralines

Directions:

Begin preheating the oven to 350 degrees.

Mash the bananas well with a fork. Mix the mashed bananas together with the brown sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Next stir in the milk, then stir in the oats. Roughly chop the pralines and stir them in as well. Spray the inside of a baking dish (8x8 inch or similar size) with non-stick spray. Pour in the oat mixture. Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until the center is solid and the edges are slightly golden brown.  Serve warm and enjoy! 


Our Ratings:


Mama F: 7 - I liked it, it was much better than I thought it would be. I had to add some sweet because well, I am the cook and I like it that way! 

Daddy F: 8 - I really enjoyed how moist it was. Somewhere between oatmeal and a cake. I even cut it up and took it to work to snack on!
>
Fuller Kids: 10 - I was amazed how much they liked this! My toddler seriously kept coming back into the kitchen and stealing pieces and sneaking off with them!

Lucky the Dog: 7 - snack was good. Not good as bacon. But Lucky not complain.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great alternative to pancakes and donuts! Love it! I bet Anna would go crazy over this. What are pralines? Is that synonymous with pecans? Hope your week is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie! I was seriously shocked they went for it! You are right, pralines are basically candied pecans. So....sorry I had to put something sweet in it!! haha

      Delete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF