Monday, February 6, 2012

Ricotta Pancakes with Banana Butter Pecan Syrup


Ugh. It has been a LONG few days around our house. As most of you know I am busy baking up Fuller baby #3 right now and she has been causing all sorts of drama! Apparently I have something called PGP (Pelvic Groin Pain Disorder) which means my ligaments are too loosey goosey and when I move my legs I get the gift of excruciating pain. So, when the Dr said "No picking up your toddler" I thought, yeah right. Of course, maybe if I had known how completely miserable picking up a 30 lb sack of potatoes would make me, I may have listened. Maybe. I can be pretty stubborn. In any case silly me got to spend the last few days barely able to walk/stand/sit. Only 26 weeks along and I am falling to bits.




Pin It


So today is Daddy F and my wedding anniversary! So of course to show him how much I love him I woke up EXTRA early, hobbled to the kitchen and made him an extra special breakfast. The ricotta in these pancakes makes them extra moist and I love the way the bananas get caramelized. Yummo. They were so filling I could barely eat two. But I did. Here is a close up of the syrup:



Ingredients:

Banana Butter Pecan Syrup:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 bananas, sliced
  • 1 cup pure maple syrup
Pancakes:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, separated 
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup ricotta cheese 
  • butter for greasing griddle
Directions:

Melt butter in a skillet over med heat. Add the pecans and saute for about 1 min, until fragrant.  Add the bananas and saute for another 3 mins, until they begin to brown and caramelize.  Add the syrup and cook for 2 mins until it is bubbly and begins to thicken.  Remove from heat and set aside until needed.
In a medium sized bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.  In another bowl beat egg yolks, milk, and ricotta and blend until smooth.  Add the dry ingredients and mix gently by hand with a wooden spoon.  In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Add to the pancake mixture and fold in until well blended.

Heat griddle over medium heat until hot. Grease with butter.  Pour 1/2 cup batter per pancake onto the griddle and cook until you see bubbles. Flip pancake with a large spatula and continue cooking another 2 mins.  Serve immediately topped with the syrup.

Our Ratings:


Mama F: 9 - These were really moist and rich. I will have to make them again when I am not giantly prego so I can fit more in my tummy!!





Daddy F: 8 - Loved how moist the pancakes were, would have preferred the pecans to be left out of the syrup. Not a big fan.




Fuller Kids: 8 - Also not big fans of the pecans but they picked them off easily and then the bananas and pancakes were quickly devoured.




Lucky the Dog: 7 - Her pancake (without syrup) was gone in less than 60 seconds. Her only qualm was that I still need to fry in bacon grease instead of butter.

3 comments:

  1. Go Lucky! LOL
    These pancakes look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I hope you can take it easy a bit. I cannot imagine trying to deal with that kind of pain with two other little ones around. "Only" 14 weeks to go!
    I would be a humongous fan of these pancakes. Anything with pecans in it goes directly into my tummy. I'll have your husbands portion of the syrup! Another winner recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I must admit it can be hard with the 2 older ones! I can't even imagine how bed rest will go!! But I take a warm bath every night and destress!! :)

      Delete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF