Friday, February 24, 2012

Callah Bread



As I have said before, I homeschool my kids. This week we had a whole big lesson on how bread is made and we must have made 6 different kinds of bread! This is one of my all time favorites. It always reminds me of my grandmother every time I smell it and take a bite of it's sweet honey taste. My oldest daughter loves helping in the kitchen and I love to know that I am passing on old family traditions to her.

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 cups warm water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 packages yeast
  • 5 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1 egg 
  • 1. teaspoon water
  • sea salt
  • poppy seeds
Directions:

Combine warm water and sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water and let stand until foamy, about 10 mins.

Sift flour and salt into a large bowl.  Make a well in the center and add eggs, oil, honey, and yeast mixture. Mix until well blended. Place dough onto floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Grease large bowl and add dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Punch down dough and let rise again until double in size.

Punch down dough and divide into half.  Divide each half into three equal parts. Roll each piece into strips of equal length and braid together to form one loaf. Repeat with second half. Place loaves on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until double. Beat one egg with water and brush lightly over the loaves. Sprinkle with salt and poppy seeds. Bake at 375 for 45 mins. Transfer to a rack and cool.

Our Ratings:


Mama F: 10 - I love the taste of homemade bread and my house smells amazing for it too.





Daddy F: 10 - Homemade breads are the best. I love how the honey gives it a slightly sweet taste.





Fuller Kids: 9 - The little carboholics loved helping make and eat this bread. My 4 year old was a little weary at first of the poppy seeds but decided they were ok.





Lucky the Dog: 10 - Bread is good. Mommy says to make sure that I dont get a hold of any of the dough cause it will make me sick and gassy when it rises in my tummy.

1 comment:

  1. I love challah bread. Its so tasty, but really I love braiding it and making it look like a whole lotta work so people are impressed with my mad bread-making skills! Gorgeous photo and what a fun project to do with your girls!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF